The beginning of a new year is usually a time to look at goals, budgets and start planning for the upcoming months. There are typically several things people think of at the beginning of a new year and plan for as part of their goals. Here is a list of 20 insurance tips you don’t want to miss out on this year.
1) While you are looking at your 2020 budget, maybe you can save some money on your auto insurance premium. Check with HomeFirst® Agency to see if you qualify for any discounts offered by insurers such as a safe driver discount, paperless pay method, auto pay, good student, etc.
2) As you work on that 2020 budget, plan to set aside funds each month for unexpected home repairs.
3) Worried about a driving violation affecting your driving record and possibly raising your insurance premium? See if you can go to an approved driving school and sometimes the court will dismiss the violation.
4) Did you know you can make money by staying off your phone when you are driving? There are several apps that pay you just for not using your phone when you drive! Click here to see an example.
5) Did you buy your kids a trampoline for Christmas? Let your insurance company know so you make sure you have the correct coverage on your homeowners insurance policy.
6) Protect your home from possible water damage by using water leak sensors. There are several different products available to purchase that will alert you on your phone if a sensor detects a water leak. Some of these products can even shut the water valve off for you. This can save you from water damage in your home and an expensive utility bill caused by a water leak.
7) Have some home remodeling on your list of things to do in 2020? When you’re finished, call your insurance company to see if your policy coverage needs to be increased.
8) You don’t want to miss your policy renewal date! Set a reminder for the month before your renewal date. You can also check with your insurance company to see if you can enroll in auto-renewal.
9) Did you get some expensive jewelry or electronics for Christmas? Make sure you have enough personal effects coverage in your homeowners insurance policy to protect your new personal belongings.
10) Check with your insurance company to see if having a home security system could lower your homeowners insurance premium. It could also help protect your home from a burglary or break-in.
11) As you start writing in important dates on that new 2020 calendar, make a note for your seasonal home maintenance!
12) Go over your emergency evacuation plan and your fire escape plan with your family. Things can change from year to year. Going over the plans will keep it fresh in everyone’s mind and it's a great time to change the plan if needed.
13) Will you be having a new driver this year? Having your new driver attend driving school can help make them a safer driver and possibly save you some money on auto insurance depending on the insurance company the policy is through.
14) As you probably have brought in new items throughout the year, the beginning of the year is a great time to update your home inventory sheet. The home inventory sheet can be helpful in the insurance claims process if you have a home disaster.
15) Did you pay off your auto loan this past year? Take a look at the difference between full coverage and personal property liability coverage to see if you want to make any changes in your auto policy.
16) Do you have different insurance policies across different companies? We can check to see if bundling your policies will save you money.
17) If someone were to get hurt at your home, does your homeowners insurance policy have liability coverage? That can help with medical expenses if someone were to be injured on your property.
18) If you have an RV, reduce the chances of weather-related damages by winterizing your RV when it's not in use during cold weather months.
19) Did you know that termites can be harmful to your home structure? Termites can make their way through cracks you might not see and can damage wood in your walls and foundation of your home. It's important to have pest treatments to protect your home.
20) If you have a motorcycle, do you have coverage for your motorcycle gear and other add-on accessories? Check your policy and if you don't, we can help you find a policy that covers your personal belongings.
With these 20 tips, you can get your New Year off to a great start! HomeFirst® Agency can help you with your insurance needs and provide helpful tips along the way.